Tuesday 12 July 2011

Lords Cricket Ground




Lords Cricket Ground - 2011

Last week Thursday I passed my viva and completed my PhD. To celebrate I was invited to watch Surrey vs Middlessex 20-20 game with work colleagues at Lords. I arrived 30 minutes from the end as the viva was almost 5 hs long!


This was the first game of cricket I've watched and the first time I've visited a cricket stadium. Unlike the 'beautiful game' they don't ban you from drinking beer in view of the pitch. In fact I was able to bring in a bottle of wine! Superb!


The ground itself is massive! There is a practice pitch next to it and behind the commentary UFO-like gantry when you enter from the North stand. The area around the ground is salubrious to say the least - with the walk up St John's wood high street punctuated by super cars.


Surrey won narrowly and it made for a great ending! A wonderful start to life as a post-doc!

No comments:

Post a Comment